Saturday, October 15, 2005

Just another day

Well, here it is Saturday night. A little more than a day and I have to be back at work. It's amazing how short weekends become when work is sub-optimal.

Melissa's friend Lindsey spent the night last night. They made a horrific mess in the kitchen making sugar cookies (not one of which, I might add, came out a shade lighter than pitch black). Upon entering the kitchen, post mortem, I realized that every surface had, at the very least, a thin film of flour. I'm not sure how they accomplished it, but they did. I turned around and walked out. Later in the evening I reentered the kitchen, and by some incredible streak of luck they'd actually cleaned it! Well, half of it. And I do mean half. Only the right half was cleaned. I don't think they touched the left side. Maybe they didn't notice...
On the clean half of the kitchen counter, I noticed a video camera that they had used to film the scene. I decided I wanted to see it for myself, and so I swiped it and ran the tape. It turned out to be Melissa doing her best "julia childs" imitation, making her own cooking show. It was actually very neat to see her in that light. The camera really makes her look good. She has grown so much, and doesn't even seem like a child anymore. Unfortunately the battery died on the camera before I had a hcance to be able to see the whole thing (cameo appearances from me and Nikolai, and possibly even Anthony), but perhaps someday soon I'll get a clip of it posted on my web site for general consumption.

This morning they decided the kitchen looked entirely too clean, and that the obvious solution was home made pancakes. I slept through most of it, but I did get to hear brief bits here and there of their conversation that went something like this:
Lindsey: "Man, these pancakes are so GOOD"
Melissa: "They'd better be with all the sugar you put in them!"
Melissa: "Hey Nikolai, want a pancake?"

Ugh.

At Melissa's request, we ended up at the mall again today. The mall will be my downfall, I'm convinced. It's incredible how many things I can find to spend money on there, considering there are roughly all of 10 stores in the Capitola mall. I think I'd find a way to spend money in the middle of the Saharah. All I'll need is a laptop, a bluetooth enabled satellite phone, a bluetooth card for my laptop, a credit card....
I am proud to say, though, that I spent less than $13 (this might actually be a personal record). I certainly found plenty of things I'd LIKE to buy. :->
In my infinite wisdom, I got Nikolai a halloween cookie at the mall. It was very cute, a sugar cookie decorated with orange icing and a spider web on top of the orange. I thought "Nikolai will *love* that. I should get that one for him." I handed it to him, and within 5 minutes he was orange. His hair, his fingers, his nose...his boogars. Everything was orange. Did I have napkins? No. Did I have wipes? Of course not. So, I got to stroll a sticky orange hyper child all the way from the fountain in the mall to the Macy's bathroom (up the elevator), to equip myself with wet paper towels for when he finished his cookie. He was stil gnawing on the thing, and it would not have gone over well if I were to try to take it from him. Given his tendency to launch into long loud and completely irrational 2 year old fits, I did the right thing and left him to devour it, like a lion gnawing on a carcas. I figured "Ah well, when he finishes the cookie I'll wipe him up with the paper towels." Roughly 2 minutes later he passed out. Completely out of it...dropped his cookie in Bombay. I got to cart an orange sticky two year old all over the mall, until the girls were done, and then get him into the car and home. Covered in orange. I think I might be orange, too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, way! Only $13 bucks! That is amazing for you. And you didn't want to wake a sleeping 2 year old to clean up the orage mess? You wimp ;)

10/17/2005 11:16 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

Yeah, well, not everyone is neurotic about cleaning their children's hands and faces. And the $13 should show you how destitute I am these days.

10/17/2005 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:P I am not neurotic, she is. I don't know how my child ended up this way, she just can't stand having her hands dirty when eating. Outside she just loves to play in the dirt though. Go figure.

10/17/2005 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home