Saturday, September 23, 2006

bubble within a bubble

I have to start today's Nikolai story with yet another Nikolai story or two, just for some context.
Nikolai's addiction to sugar has been a tough thing to conquer. He tries at every turn to get his hands on anything containing sugar. When I ask him what he wants to eat he lists about 40 things (cinnamon toast, sugary cereal, ice cream, cookies, etc.) before I finally give up and start giving him choices between two non-sugar-centric meals. The reason for this is a recent discovery that he is reliably a sweet mild mannered child unless he has had suger. This even applies to things like apples and oranges. The solution is to limit it to very sparse amounts. This morning is a great example of why. Here we had some breakfast and I thought yogurt (la creme, nothing sugar packed for children or anything) might be acceptable, so I gave him a package of yogurt. An hour later he's bouncing on the couch like a fart on a skillet making raspberries with his hands and shaking his head for 10 minutes solid. And this is just yogurt.
In the effort to decrease his sugar intake I've had to reorganize the kitchen a bit, putting sugary snacks up out of his reach and sight. One of the things I wasn't really able to do was move the 4 ceramic jars on the counter which contain things like flour, sugar, etc. So, since this is still "in reach", Nikolai has taken every opportunity that he can find when he thinks he's not being supervised closely to drag a chair into the kitchen, hop up, open the jar as quickly and quietly as he can and start shoveling it in. Fortunately for me (and him, contrary to his opinion) the ceramic jars make clinking sounds when he opens them, so generally I come running and deal with the situation accordingly.
Well, one of those times in his absolute haste to get that white stuff in his mouth he grabbed the largest of the four containers, opened it and began shoveling gigantic spoons full of it in his mouth. To his dismay the largest container was full of flour, and so when I came running into the kitchen he looked up at me with his mouth full of semi-dry flourpaste with the most offended look. It was highly entertaining, and I figured it was just one of life's little lessons.

So this morning Anthony and Nikolai and I were in the kitchen making coffee. Anthony had poured his coffee and was asking where the sugar was. I figured Nikolai was pounce on the chance to actually have permimssion to open the sugar container on the counter so I asked him "Nikolai, do you want to show Anthony where the sugar is?" as I grab a chair from the kitchen and bring it to the counter for him. He gets up from the floor where he was driving his car and says "Yeah!!" and goes to the opposite counter and points to a container of Raid and says "Here it is!!"
Anthony says "He's trying to kill me!!"

hahahaha - we all got a good laugh, even if Nikolai didn't understand why we were laughing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ROFL...my god. From chocking to sugar issues. You just can't win!!! I often take these stories and store then away for good use. Irene certainly doesn't have hte sugar issue you're running into..but we're careful. I wait with anticipated breath when irene pulls a chair over and gets up on the counter by herself *shudder*

10/01/2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger cherry blossom said...

consider that this is why he likes pasta so much. it's also pure sugar. start feeding him whole grains.

10/05/2006 5:47 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

we generally feed him whole grain spaghetti. we were out of it the time you were visiting.

I have considered this. we've been feeding him whole grain breads from day 1. he's a carb maniac. poor boy :(

10/06/2006 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is time to pop that bubble and put up a new blog post :D

10/16/2006 10:02 AM  
Blogger cherry blossom said...

me too. i miss you.

10/21/2006 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home