Thursday, March 30, 2006

FINALLY! Something truly interactive.

Stupid, but interactive. I feel like I'm on my deathbed here, so I can't take long to note this story, but I need to get it down so I don't forget it. I nearly hacked up a lung at this one...

Nikolai's standing in front of the fridge (buck naked, incidentally -- this seems to be his M.O. these days, which would explain my consistent lack of visual aids) playing happily with his Word Whammer. It was encouraging him in its insistent and maddeningly repetitive way to begin to spell the word "Mud".
Word Whammer: "The word mud begins with the letter M. Can you find the letter M?"
Nikolai's eyes scan the fridge and find the M in a matter of seconds. He plucks it off the fridge and shows it to the Word Whammer.
Word Whammer: "Find the M. Can you find the letter M?"
Nikolai's eyes drift to the M in his hand, and a look crosses his face that reads "I thought this *was* the M..."
Word Whammer: "You're looking for the letter M. The letter M makes a Muh sound. Find the letter M"
Nikolai: "It's right HERE silly people!"

We're heading in the right direction. Unlike Dora, JoJo, Steve, Joe and the Little Einsteins this one at least *can* respond accordingly.
As a side note, the doctor says my lungs are clear and this is just a very nasty flu virus that is going around these days. I hope I didn't pass it to anyone.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Irene doesn't even get as far as picking up the right word. her favorite thing is: repeated push the Alphabet song button until Marcus or I say "IRENE! Push it only once!"

Sorry to hear about the virus..this sucks.

4/03/2006 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Each child learns differently and for Madiysn the shows were/are great. She has picked all kinds of things up from them. Like taking a bow at 15 months ;) Remember that.
Now he just needs to realize he needs to put the letter in the whammer for it to "see" he found it :D

4/03/2006 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home