Thursday, March 02, 2006

Amazing adventures in the life of Rebecca

So, last night I decided it would be a good idea to saw about an inch off the bottom of my bathroom door. In retrospect it occurs to me that I might want to consider the safety and appropriateness of my being allowed to function in public.

I was really excited about getting rid of that extra pesky inch. I'm a huge fan of bathroom rugs, and find a bathroom without them to be cold and uninviting. Without them I am aggravated by the constant irritating presence of loose dirt and other such unsavory things sticking to the bottom of my socks. As a side note, I think that bathroom-floor-dirt is an interesting phenomenon. No matter how many times I sweep and mop, there is dirt. I can wash the walls, scrub the toilets and bathtub and sinks thereby removing every ounce of visible dirt, and then after a thorough sweep get down on my hands and knees and scrub the floor by hand and then wipe it down with copious amounts of antiseptic wipes. Upon reentry (once dry) my socks are instantly covered with sticky pieces of some unrecognizable 8 month old piece of food. I think raisins breed in my house.

Bathroom rugs are the solution to this problem. As you walk around the bathroom, both sticky and loose pieces of dirt are buried deeply beyond site in the carpet pile. It's a perfect solution, unless you have a tendency to examine bathroom rugs with a microscope (not that I've ever done this, but even the surface of my kitchen counter would be sickening let alone my bathroom rugs).
Obviously the people who constructed my bathroom did not like bathroom rugs. Perhaps they were the scientific type and didn't understand the proper application of microscopes, or perhaps they just had no sense of home decor. For whatever reason, they decided to leave about a millimeter of space between the bottom of the door and and the floor. Totally bathroom rug prohibitive. They were probably trying to find a reason for me to actually use the jigsaw I bought 6 years ago.

I actually removed the door and placed it on the kitchen table and sawed off an inch of the bottom of it. My hand and arm still hurt today from the violent vibration. Doors are *not* easy to saw through, even when they're not insulated inside/outside doors. I also do not recommend a jigsaw as the tool of choice, nor a kitchen table as the optimal location. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be, and when I was done everything had a thin brown dust all over it. But now, I can have my cake and eat it too.

The rugs are beautiful.

5 Comments:

Blogger cherry blossom said...

with any luck, all that sawdust will make it into the bathroom carpets.

3/02/2006 3:36 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

they already did. wow, if only I had your wisdom.

3/02/2006 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm question. You tried this after already realizing through trial and error that you *do* need a filter for the shop vac???

*appraising look* I am impressed!

3/06/2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

yes. my idiocy knows no bounds.

3/06/2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

I'm very surprised at the volume of in person feedback I got about this post. One person actually suggested to me that I should not wear socks in the house, because it spreads dirt.

I guess I have to become a slipper nazi now.

3/07/2006 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home