Friday, April 21, 2006

Amber, we're safe.

For a matter of years now Amber and I have been very concerned, because Nikolai has exhibited an excessively sensitive nature toward creatures. He has become very distressed when an animal or insect (or spatula, in some cases) has been hurt. Madisyn, on the other hand, finds great joy and entertainment in squishing bugs. Any bugs around? SQISH 'EM!

So, yesterday afternoon I was picking Nikolai up from Gail's house, and he was outside playing in the plastic playhouse on the playground. From inside the house Nikolai began to holler about a spider he'd found in the house.
Nikolai: "A spider, Mama! An itsy bitsy spider in here! Come look, Mama! Look what I found!"
Mama: "Awww...look how cute he is. You found a little tiny one!"
Nikolai: "We should SQUISH HIM!!"
Mama: "No, I don't think we should squish him. Lives are precious. Why don't we let him stay there so he can find some food."
Nikolai: "Can we squish him with a stick?"
Mama: "No, I think we should just leave him be so he can get his food. He's not doing anything to hurt you.
Nikolai: "Can we squish him with a rock? A rock would squish him."
Mama: "I don't think we should squish him. Let's leave him be."
Nikolai: "A LEAF!! I think we should squish him with a leaf!"
Mama: gives up.

I think we're safe to let them play outside around bugs now, Amber.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Oh my goodness! They will have so much fun the next time they go out to play at my place. There are always ants or some kind of critter on the slide that needs to be smashed so madisyn can slide down safely :D

4/21/2006 1:43 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

well, at least that worry is over. hahaha

4/24/2006 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home