Monday, April 24, 2006

Sears: The Saga Continues

In addition to working from home today because Gail was closed, the Sears installers came to install our three applicances: dishwasher; wall oven (ack...this was a nightmare); a water line for the ice maker/water dispenser in the refrigerator.

I thought it was some kind of miracle. We made the appointment, the installers actually showed up, *and* they stayed until 4:45 pm to finish the work. Considering they started around 10:00 I believe the fact that they stayed was the true miracle. When they left, everything looked perfect. The refrigerator was happily making ice chunks and spitting out water on demand. The wall oven was proudly displaying the time to me in beautiful green numbers. The dishwasher was all wet inside from the trial run they'd done before leaving.

They warned me that I ought to run about a gallon of water through the water filter before actually consuming any of it. I should also, they warned me, run the upper and lower ovens for about 30 to 45 minutes to cook off any substance stuff that they put on it to make it shine. I followed orders and did both things without question. Once they had gone I turned the upper and lower ovens up to 500 to bake. I begun to filter out a gallon's worth of water from the refrigerator rather inefficiently with a 6 oz cup. Unfortunately I followed on to rid myself of the entire gallon with the 6 oz cup. Once done disposing of the water, I decided it was high time to take the dishwasher for a trial run. I'd only been waiting 4 1/2 months for this.

I rinsed all the dishes and put them in the dishwasher. In the midst of washing out my fondue pot, I noticed the kitchen was awfully steamy. I turned around to see if it was just near the sink, and discovered the whole house seemed to have filled up with smoke. I couldn't really see the dining room too well. I figured disaster had struck with one or the other of the fire pits in the house and headed out the kitchen door, and on my way noticed that the smoke was pouring out of the fan coming from behind the wall oven. The wiring was burning. I turned it off and muttered a few unmentionable words to myself. There goes another day of work.

How could I have let myself hope that I would actually have 3 new functional appliances in the kitchen?

9 Comments:

Blogger cherry blossom said...

two words: sears wipe.

4/24/2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

I often wonder how long this saga can possibly continue. I also wonder if it would be easier if I just practiced my skills of defenestration with the appliances.

4/25/2006 9:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You can smack me if you want..but 2 out of 3 working things aren't bad condisdering how horrid this whole episode was in the first plaece *shudder*. Still..they had better be prepared to pay and repair all the damage in my opinion.

4/25/2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

well, here's how I see it:

before, we had an old oven that worked in that slot.

now we have no oven.

call me crazy, but I just don't think that's an improvement.

4/25/2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

oh...and SMACK!!

4/25/2006 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya that is bad but you do have a dish washer finally and your dream fridge. it is amazing they accomplished both of those tasks with out water flooding your kitchen ;)

4/25/2006 1:39 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

yeah. they did, however, not find the water shutoff, so they had to physically drain all the water out of the house so they could work on the dishwasher and fridge.

and I have to agree, it IS my dream fridge, and we're all just tickled pink with the filtered water and ice. nikolai has decided he's no longer terrified of the fridge, and just plugs his ears and giggles while I fill a cup full of ice and water for him.

4/26/2006 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is so funny. How many times have we used my fridge and it never bothered him. We even found them trying to push the water out themselves once! So silly ;)

4/26/2006 9:03 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

yes, but ours is stainless. must have been the color that threw him off.

4/26/2006 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home