Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Halloween 2006

Well, it was halloween again. It came and went with a relatively small footprint this year. Nikolai was *very* sick. He started being sick around the 3rd of October and never got better. Come Halloween night he was *really* out of it. He'd gone to the doctor and gotten antibiotics, but they hadn't had time to kick in. I had to make the difficult call of letting him trick or treat or skipping it this year. Since skipping it was really not an option, unless he was on his death bead, we went ahead and decided to take it easy. A few houses, perhaps, and then we would head home. Obviously I wasn't looking at him in full light. I think I would have made a different decision if I had seen this picture full sized that night.
Here's a picture of him on the way to trick or treating. I think we should have been on the way to the hospital instead:

A few houses turned into about 20 houses and way too much candy. He had a piece or two on the way home (via benny's house), and then some when we got home. For a kid who really doesn't have much sugar these days it was just about all his body could take. He wound up like you wouldn't believe and let go in a sugar induced frenzy. I think the sugar and energy expended kicked his fever in high gear, and by about 10:00 his fever was at about 105.
Given this is near the threshold for brain damage I was panicked and trying to bring it down by all means necessary. I gave him medicine and cold packs and freaked out while taking his temperature until about 2:00 am, when it dropped down to about 102. I figured I could get some rest and it was relatively safe. By the morning hwen I took his temperature it was 96, which had me a little worried as well, but better than 105 in my opinion.
Poor kid. He sure was cute, though. He was a cute little dinosaur. Here he is in his cute little dinosaur costume:

2 Comments:

Blogger cherry blossom said...

awww poor little baby. so cute and so sick. is he feeling better now?

11/08/2006 5:34 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

yeah. he finally got over it with some antibiotics and a lot of time.

11/08/2006 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home